19/03/2009

Creating my front cover


My main image on my front cover which was the background was a picture from when i went to the Big Chill of people outside a DJ stage. It focuses on a man dressed as a cowboy as he is right in the center. I originally chose a picture of inside the club tent from the same festival but decided it was too dark and the main focus was in the wrong place for me to put everything else on it. Instead i used that picture on my DPS picture page. The picture i have used is more colourful and i think it would draw more people's attention to it as it stands out and the cowboy creates a sense of fun which will reflect on the mood of the magazine. Althought the colours of the picture used were better, I foundit difficult to place the coverlines on to it, as there wasn't a correct colour where all of the letters would show up - white was too light against the sky and clack was too alike to the peoples clothes and shadows. To make it easier i put most of the coverlines onto a background to make them readable, but left the ones that were ok on the background.
To begin with, the ripped effect bit was blue, the same blue as the sky but i thought it looked too bland so i changed it to a pink/red which i then did to the box in the corner so it made it brighter and was also evened out.
The placing of objects and text have also been moved around and do not follow my layout plans because when i actually put everything together, my layout hadnt considered the colourings and contrasts. On the bar across the top, with my magazines name, i have reverses the classic white page - black writing, to make it look more interesting and different.
I was also trying to get used to using PhotoShop at this time as I had not used it much before this, so i found it hard getting the hang of it but after experimenting with it for a while it became easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment